chora church , Istanbul ,Balat
THIS PRIVATE TOUR IS STARTING FROM
Taking its name from the shape of the Bosphorus inlet, the Golden Horn boasts some of Istanbul’s must-see sites and eclectic neighborhoods. On this full-day, fully-guided walking tour, we visit the Walls of Constantinople, Chora Church, Süleymaniye Mosque, the Egyptian Market (Spice Bazaar), and explore the colorful streets of the Fener and Balat districts.
- We can tailor this private tour considering your dates and interests .
- You can book this tour with ”pay on tour” option paying only 20 percent life time deposit.
- Entrance fees
- Professional guide
- Ground transportation via public transportation
We will pick you up from your hotel at 09:00 am to begin a fully-guided, private tour of the following highlights:
Walls of Constantinople: Initial construction of this series of defensive walls began in the 4th century by order of Constantine the Great. Having been modified over the years, they now make up one of the most complex defensive systems ever built.
Chora Church: This Byzantine church was originally erected as part of a monastery complex outside the Walls of Constantinople. Its fabulous mosaics and frescoes are one-of-a-kind in this area of the Old City.
Süleymaniye Mosque: This mosque was built by order of Sultan Süleyman (Süleyman the Magnificent), who employed the talents of the architectural genius, Mimar Sinan. Construction began in 1550 and finished in 1558.
Egyptian Market (Spice Bazaar): The Egyptian Market (Mısır Çarşısı in Turkish) is so called because it was built using revenues from the Ottoman state of Egypt in 1660. The word mısır has a double meaning in Turkish: ”Egypt” and “maize.” This is why the name is sometimes incorrectly translated as ”Corn Bazaar.” The bazaar was (and still is) the center for the spice trade in Istanbul, however in the last few years shops of other types have opened here as well.
The tour finishes around 16:30.
Note: Chora Church is closed on Wednesdays; If your tour falls on this day, we will visit the Panorama 1453 History Museum instead.
Phanar Greek Orthodox College ,Istanbul
Chora Church Fresco Details
All of our tours are instantly confirmed via email upon booking. Day tours can be booked up until 48 hours before the start of the tour. Multi-day or group tours can be booked up until 7 days before the start of the tour.
Payments can be made by credit card on our website or by wire transfer. If paying by credit card, you will be charged in full at the time of booking. If paying by wire transfer, you can pay a 20% deposit via transfer and pay the remaining 80% at the start of your tour. We accept payments in Turkish Lira, Euro, and U.S. Dollar.
Cancellations and Refund Policy
Multi-day tours can be cancelled within 15 days. If you cancel before the 15-day window, we will refund 80% of the tour price. The remaining 20% will be kept as a life-time deposit. You, your family, or your friends can apply this 20% to any future bookings.
If you cancel within 15 days, you will be refunded 80% of the tour cost, but will not be eligible for the remaining 20% life-time deposit.
Day tours can be cancelled within 5 days. If you cancel before the 7-day window, we will refund 80% of the tour price. The remaining 20% will be kept as a life-time deposit. You, your family, or your friends can apply this 20% to any future bookings.
If you cancel within 5 days, you will be refunded 80% of the tour cost, but will not be eligible for the remaining 20% life-time deposit.
If you have a 20% lifetime deposit with us, please email us when booking so we can adjust the pricing with a promotional code.
All of our tours are instantly confirmed via email upon booking. Day tours can be booked up until 24 hours before the start of the tour. Multi-day or group tours can be booked up until 7 days before the start of the tour.
While we rarely have to deviate from our itineraries, travel can be unpredictable. We reserve the right to make alterations to our itineraries in cases of unforeseen circumstances (i.e., bad weather or local circumstances).
Meeting with your Guide
For both private and group multi-day tours, you will meet in your starting-city’s hotel lobby at 6:00pm for introductions and tour preliminaries.
For day tours, your meeting time is 9:00 am unless otherwise specified.
We can be reached at the following numbers:
+90 544 291 07 89
+90 242 242 07 89
In-country emergency numbers:
We strongly recommend that our passengers select a travel insurance policy to cover the duration of their tour. This should, importantly, cover any medical expenses incurred, but we also recommend insurance for personal liability, cancellation, and loss of luggage.
We are happy to help with your post-tour plans! Let us know if you would like us to arrange a hotel reservation, airport transfer, or activity.
What to Bring
We recommend packing as lightly as possible. Hotels and buildings in Turkey often lack entry ramps, and public transport can get quite crowded (limiting the space for luggage). For daily activities, a day pack or large purse will suffice.
Make sure to bring all necessary documentation, including passport, visa (if needed), itinerary, flight information, and any travel insurance papers.
As for clothing, the weather in Turkey will vary depending on where your tour takes you and the time of year during which you travel. Please check the weather statistics for an idea about seasonal items. For tours traveling to more conservative areas, we recommend bringing a few modest-clothing items (long-sleeved shirt/sweater and pants/long skirt). Women may want to bring a scarf for mosque visits.
The currency in Turkey is the Turkish Lira (TL). My Turkey Adventure accepts tour payments in Turkish Lira, Euros, or US dollars. While most restaurants, bars, and shops in urban areas will accept credit and debit cards, you will need to have TL on hand to use for smaller items, local shops, and tipping. Every traveler is different when it comes to spending habits, therefore it’s entirely up to you when deciding how much money to bring.
Your guide will point out exchange offices and/or banks for you to change or withdraw cash. If you need to change money at the airport, keep the amount low as the rates will be poorer than those in the city center.
We recommend keeping some extra cash (around 100EUR) to use in case of emergency or unforeseen circumstances.
At restaurants, it is customary to leave a 5-10% tip if you are satisfied with the service.
For taxis, just round up your fare (for example, if your trip is 15.25TL, give 16TL).
At hotels, we recommend tipping 1EUR per person per day.
If you are happy with your tour and would like to show your appreciation, tips for your guide and/or driver can be given at the end of your tour. While the amount is solely at your discretion, we recommend tipping around 2EUR per person per day to your driver and 4-5EUR per person per day to your guide.
We offer a variety of optional activities to supplement our itineraries. These can be found on our website, or you can ask us for recommendations.
Safety and Security
A basic awareness of your surroundings will go a long way in keeping you and your belongings safe. We recommend keeping your passports, extra cash, and important documents in your hotel room’s safe or, if unavailable, with the hotel front-desk staff. Try not to carry large amounts of cash. Pickpocketing is a problem in urban areas, particularly in Istanbul’s large crowds. Keep your personal effects close—a bag or purse that can be zipped or a money belt are recommended. You may also want to bring a luggage lock for added security during air transit.
While Turkey is a relatively safe country to visit, please trust your guide’s judgement and experience if he or she tells you to avoid certain neighbourhoods or activities.
When exploring on your own, please be aware of the “Let’s get a drink” scam, which has targeted tourists in recent years. A stranger (someone telling you they are a guide or fellow traveler, for example) will invite you to a bar or restaurant for drink/food. These people work with the bar/restaurant, and your bill will be horribly high (we have heard of people being forced to pay 3000TL for a bottle of raki or wine). It can become precarious if the tourist refuses to pay. While this scam tends to target single-travelers (particularly men), small groups of 2-3 people can also be targeted.
There are some touristy restaurants that do not list prices on their menus, or they will attempt to inflate your bill by serving you extra portions without you having ordered them. Keep a menu at the table to double-check your bill and make sure to clearly state how many portions you want when ordering. Your guide will be happy to give you recommendations for high-quality, honest places to eat during your free time, so don’t hesitate to ask!
Protests and demonstrations, however well-intentioned, can turn rowdy or violent. If you encounter a protest, leave the area immediately.